Finding a Cognitive Behavior Therapist Outside of the Bay Area
The following organizations provide an on-line search engine or a listing sent by mail that provides information on cognitive-behavior therapists around the world.
- Association of Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) is a non-profit professional, interdisciplinary organization that is concerned with the application of behavioral and cognitive sciences to understanding human behavior, developing interventions to enhance the human condition, and promoting the appropriate utilization of these interventions.
- Academy of Cognitive Therapy is a non-profit organization founded in 1999. It supports continuing education and research in cognitive therapy, provides a valuable resource in cognitive therapy for professionals and the public at large, and works to identify and certify clinicians who are skilled in cognitive therapy.
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the prevention, treatment and cure of anxiety disorders and to improve the lives of all people who suffer from them. Click on “Getting Help” and then on “Find a Therapist” to get names of therapists with expertise in treating anxiety disorders around the world.
- Obsessive Compulsive Foundation is an international nonprofit organization composed of people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and related disorders, their families, friends, professionals and other concerned individuals. The mission of the OCF is to educate the public and professional communities about OCD and related disorders; to provide assistance to individuals with OCD and related disorders, their family and friends; and to support research into the causes and effective treatments of OCD and related disorders. Click on the “Find Help” tab to access a list of providers around the world.
- Trichotillomania Learning Center is a national non-profit organization established to provide information, support, and referral sources regarding the experience and treatment of trichotillomania (TTM; compulsive hair pulling). TLC’s educational resources are available to people with TTM, their family members and friends, therapeutic professionals, educators, and anyone with an interest in the subject. TLC’s mission is to raise public awareness, to maintain a support network and treatment referral base, and to raise funds for research to find a cure for trichotillomania.